UK Pub history research and London historical street directory

Search the historical London street directory and pub history site by surname, street or pub name

Suffolk Villages & Towns - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories

Suffolk Villages Home Page | Ipswich Borough & Suffolk Hundreds |Suffolk Villages and Towns A - Z

SWEFLING in 1874, is a small scattered village, in the vale of the river Aide, 3 miles W. by N. of Saxmundham, and 4 miles E. of Framlingham, in Plomesgate Union, and Framlingham and Saxmundham County Court district. Its parish is of the rateable value of 2,046. 2s. 6d., and contains 270 inhabitants, and 1120 acres of land, lying in seven copyhold manors. but chiefly in the manor of Dernford Hall, now a farm house, formerly belonging to Leigh priory, in Essex. and afterwards to the Cavendish family. The Duke of Hamilton, Miss Shuldham, Captain Alfred Bloomfield, and F. A. MacDougal, Esq. own nearly all the parish. The Church (St. Mary), consisting of nave, chancel, and a fine south porch of flint, is an ancient structure, with a tower and five bells. The living is a rectory, valued in K.B. at 2. 2s. 8d., and in 1835 at 262; but the tithes were commuted in 1840 for 302. 10s. per annum. The Rev. Russell Skinner, M.A., is the patron and rector, and has 9 1/2 acres of glebe, and a neat residence, built in 1831 by the Rev. W. Collett, the late incumbent. The Feoflees' Estate comprises two cottages and 6 acres of land, let for 17 a year; and was given by Ezra Crisp, in 1699, for the reparation of the church and other public uses. In 1568, Henry Leggett left, for distribution among the poor of Swelling, a yearly rent-charge of 40s. out of Limekiln Close. The sum of 46, received as arrears of this rentcharge, was laid out in 1784, in building a coal shed for the use of the parish.
Post from Saxmundham, which is the nearest Money Order Office.

Bedwell James, corn miller
Blake Mr George
Bloss Richard, farmer
Chambers William, farmer, Hall farm
Elvin Robert, pig dealer & victualler, White Horse
Girling William, farmer, Bridge farm
Gooding George, firewood dealer
Knights James, blacksmith
Mills Henry, corn miller
Reynolds Robert, farmer, Dernford hall
Richbell Jesse, farmer
Rouse James, parish clerk
Shurwood Mrs Martha, shopkeeper
Skinner Rev Russell, M.A. rector, The Rectory
Smith Henry, cow doctor
Smyth Joshua, drill, dressing, and thrashing machine maker
Willis George, farmer, Yew Tree farm

Carrier.-—William Goodchild, from Bruisyard, passes through to Aldborough and Saxmundham, Thursday, and Woodbridge, Saturday

Sweffling Public Houses

And Last updated on: Sunday, 12-Jun-2016 22:22:06 BST