I am the number 1 site for UK Pub history & a historical street directory of London

Search the pub history site by surname, address or pub name

Theberton, Suffolk Villages & Towns - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories

Suffolk Villages Home Page | Ipswich Borough & Suffolk Hundreds |Suffolk Villages and Towns A - Z

Theberton Public Houses

THEBERTON in 1844, is a pleasant village, on an eminence, 6 miles N. by W. of Aldborough, and 3 miles N.E. by E. of Saxmundham, has in its parish 580 inhabitants, and 2050 acres of land, bounded on the north by the river Minsmere, which empties itself through a small haven into the sea, about 3 miles E. of Theberton. In 1810, an act of parliament was obtained for draining the low marsh lands, called the Minsmere Level, and lying within the parishes of Leiston, Theberton, Dunwich, Middleton-cum-Fordley, and Westleton. This level comprises 1459a., and is now well drained and cultivated. Harry White, Esq., of Halesworth, is clerk to the drainage commissioners. Theberton includes the hamlet of East Bridge, 1 mile E. of the church. The Rev. Charles Montagu Doughty, B.A., is lord of the manor of Theberton, and resides at the Hall, a handsome white brick mansion, in a small but well wooded park, built in 1792, by the late George Doughty, Esq., who served the office of sheriff. But a great part of the soil belongs to Lord Huntingfield, and Thomas Milner Gibson, Esq., M.P. The latter is one of the representatives of Manchester, and resides at Theberton House, (1 mile E. of the village,) a commodious stuccoed mansion, which was much improved in 1830, and has a beautiful lawn, pleasure grounds and gardens, comprising about 50 acres. The Church (St. Peter) is a small antique fabric, with a round tower, containing four bells. A gallery was erected at the west end in 1841. The benefice is a discharged rectory, valued in K.B. at 26. 13s. 4d., and in 1835 at 354. It is in the patronage of the Crown, and incumbency of the Rev. Henry Hardinge, B.A., who has 13a. 3p. of glebe, and a good residence. The patronage was formerly in Leiston Abbey. An Infant School was built here by subscription, in 1838, at the cost of 120.
Burley Sml. shoemaker & shopkeeper
Doughty Rev Chas. Montagu, B.A.,

Theberton Hall
Eade William, land agent
Gibson Thomas Milner, Esq. M.P. Theberton House
Hardinge Rev Hy. B.A. Rectory
Hill Hammond, gardener
Kitt Sarah, shopkeeper
Pipe William. gr and parish clerk
Rouse James, beer house,
Todd Edward Joiner
Tongate William, grocer and draper
Ward Mary Ann, schoolmistress
Waller John, corn miller
Waller Thomas. vict. White Lion

Blacksmiths.
Bailey Roger
Bailey Thomas

FARMERS.
Agissing Abm.
Ablett John
Barber James
Brown Robert
Candler Edmund
Geater Thomas
Johnson Joseph
Kitt Zach.
Plant Henry
Rivers George


And Last updated on: Monday, 27-Jun-2016 14:00:28 BST