I am the number 1 site for UK Pub history & a historical street directory of London

Search the pub history site by surname, address or pub name

Thetford, Suffolk Villages & Towns - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories

Suffolk Villages Home Page | Ipswich Borough & Suffolk Hundreds |Suffolk Villages and Towns A - Z

Thetford Public Houses

THETFORD BOROUGH.
Thetford in 1844,  is an ancient borough and market-town, partly in Lackford Hundred, Suffolk, and mostly in Shropham Hundred, Norfolk, being chiefly on the north side of the navigable Little Ouse river, 12 miles N. of Bury St. Edmund's, 6 miles E.S. E. of Brandon, 28 miles S.S.E. of Lynn, 28 miles S.W. by W. of Norwich, and 80 miles N. N. E. of London. It was onoe an important eity, being the capital of East Anglia, in the Saxon era, and the see of the bishopric of Norfolk and Suffolk, from the year 1070 to 1096, as is seen in the general survey of the latter county. It also shared with Norwich, as the capital of Norfolk, till 1833, when the Lent Assizes, which had previously been held here, were removed to Norwich. The town has been much improved during the last ten years, and its Market-place and principal streets are wide and spacious, containing many good inns, well stocked shops, and neat houses. Many of the latter are separated by gardens and small pastures. Its principal trade is the importation of coal, timber, &C., and the exportation of corn, wool, and other agricultural produce; but there are here four large breweries, three foundries and agricultural machine manufactories, a tannery, two brick and tile yards, several malt and lime kilns, several corn mills, and an extensive paper mill; the latter employing about 50 persons in the manufacture of the finer sorts of paper. In 1841, a steam mill was built here for sawing timber, and crushing bones and oil cake. The Market is held every Saturday, and the Shambles, which stood on the site of the Red-Lion Inn, were taken down and rebuilt on their present site, in 1837, and form a neat building, covered with cast-iron, and having a portico and handsome palisades in front. The Fairs are May 14th, and August 2nd and 16th for sheep; Sept. 25th for cattle, pedlery, &c, and in July, or early in August for wool. Horse Races were held here from an early period, till 1620, when they occasioned such tumults, that they were suppressed by the privy council. They were revived in 1833, but discontinued about four years ago. The town has its name from the small river Thet, which falls into the Little Ouse, on the south side of the town, where there is a chalybeate spring, which supplied a Bath House, erected by subscription, about ten years ago, but converted into cottages in 1838. In the vicinity have been found various extraneous fossils, particularly large cockle shells, or cardiac, and button fish, or eschinta. A petrified curlew, and a perfect nautilus were found here many years ago. The fisheries in the rivers within the limits of the borough, are noticed as early as the reign of Henry I., as abounding in pike, pickerel, eels, salmon, chub, perch, carp, tench, dace, &c. In 1715, a sturgeon, weighing 13st. lOlbs., was taken out of the mill pool.
The Borough increased its population from 2,246 souls in 1801, to 3,934 souls in 1841, and comprises 6,976a. 1r. 24p. of land, divided into three PARISHES, of which the following are the names, areas, and number of inhabitants, viz.:- St. Peter's, 2,281 acres, and 1,184 souls;
St. Cuthbert's, 215 acres, and 1,543 souls;
and St. Mary's, 4,480 acres, and 1 ,207 Souls.
St Peter's is wholly in Norfolk; but all the land in St. Cuthbert's and St. Mary's, except about fifty acres, is in Suffolk, as also are 58 inhabitants of the former, and 677 of the latter parish. The return for St. Cuthbert's includes Ford Place, an extra parochial house and estate. Lord Asburton, and Sir R. J. Buxton, Bart., own the greater part of the enclosed lands, and the former is lord of the manor; but there are in the borough, three open commons, and a rabbit warren of 2,913 acres; the soil being generally a light sand, resting on chalk and flint. At an enclosure in 1804, 55a. were allotted to the poor for fuel. The surrounding country is generally in large corn fields and extensive open sheep walks, and the air is highly salubrious, as is shewn by the longevity of the inhabitants. John Jackson, the oldest man in the town, is 97 years of age, and Mrs. Tyrrell, of the Black Horse, is upwards of 90.
Thetford Union, formed by the new poor law commissioners in 1835, comprises the three parishes of Thetford, the parishes of Santon Downham, Brandon, Barnham, Fakenham Magna, Euston, Hornington, Sapiston, Coney Weston, Barningham, Weston Market, Hepworth, Thelnetham, Hopton, and Knettishall, In Blackbourn and Lackford Hundreds, Suffolk, and the parishes of Kilverstone, Cloxton, East Wretham, West Wretham, Brettenham, Rushford, Methwold, Northwold, Santon, Hockwold-cum-Wilton, Feltwell, Mundford, Lynford, West Tofts, Sturston, Cranwich, and Weeting-cum-Broomhill, in Norfolk. These 34 parishes comprise an area of 180 square miles, and a population of 17,542 souls, of whom 11,051 are in Norfolk, and 6,491 in Suffolk, Their average annual expenditure for the support of their poor, during the three years preceding the formation of the Union, was £10,408 but in 1838 it amounted only to £6,188, and in 1840 to £6,953 18s. The UNION WORKHOUSE, erected in 1836, at the cost of about £5000, stands in St. Mary's parish, Thetford, but within the bounds of Suffolk, about half a mile from the Town, on the Bury road. It is an extensive brick building, and its boundary walls enclose three acres of land. It has room for 300 inmates, but has seldom half that number, having only 83 in July 1841, and 110 in Sept. 1843. The Board consists of 43 Guardians, and C. Fison, Esq. is chairman, and R. Webb, Esq., vice-chairman. William. Clarke, Esq. is union-clerk and superintendent registrar, C. W. Hotson, Esq., auditor, and Mr. John Lucas, master of the Workhouse. The relieving officers and district registrars are, Mr. Denny Smith for Thetford District, and Mr. John Sharpe for Methwold District.
Thetford, according to some authors, was first a British city, and afterwards a Roman station; but the arguments adduced in support of these conjectures, are not very conclusive. Camden and Plot place the Silomagus of the Itinerary here; but Gale and Horsley contend that that station was at Woolpit, in Suffolk. At the east end of the town is a large entrenched mount, about 100 feet in height, 984 in circumference at the base, and 338 in diameter at the base, and 81 at the summit, which is dished or hollowed out to the depth of 12 feet below the outer surface. The slope of the mount is extremely steep, forming an angle with the plain of the horizon of more than forty degrees; and yet no traces remain of any path or steps for the purpose of carrying up machines, or any weighty ammunition. It has been surrounded by a double rampart, with an outward ditch, the sides of which were protected by the horns and bones of the animals slaughtered for the use of the garrison, but these have been much injured by time and the depredations of man. On the east side is a large area, 300 feet square, evidently intended for parading the troops. The remaining parts of the ramparts are about 20 feet high, and the ditch from 60 to 70 feet wide. These once formidable works, commonly called the Castle Hills, are composed of a mixture of mould and clunch; and on the top of the great mound or keep, are many tumuli. They were undoubtedly raised for the defence of the town during the predatory incursions of the Danes, who overthrew the Saxons in a dreadful battle fought at Snare-hill, near Thetford, in 870, when Edmund, King of East Anglia, surrendered to the marauders, who cut off his head, and after plundering and butchering many of the inhabitants of Thetford, reduced the city to ashes. In 1004, Sweyne, King of Denmark, invaded East Anglia, and among other places, burnt this. In 1010, Ulfketel, the Saxon earl, suffered a complete defeat, and Thetford was again destroyed. After the truce which was concluded between Edmund Ironside and Canute, this town, like a phoenix, arose from its ashes. In the time of Edward the Confessor, there were in the borough 944 burgesses, all of whom except 36, could put themselves under the protection of whom they pleased, without the royal license, providing they paid all the customs, heriots accepted. In the time of the Conqueror, the burgesses were reduced to 720, and Bishop Herfast removed the episcopal see from North Elmham to Thetford, whence, however, it was transferred to Norwich in the following reign. From numerous coins in the cabinets of the curious, it is evident there was a mint here, from the reign of Athelstan to that of King John. The manorhouse, the ancient seat of the Earls Warren, became a royal palace, when the manor passed to the Crown as part of the Duchy of Lancaster. The mansion, now called the King's Rouse, was rebuilt in the reign of Elizabeth, and given by James 1. to Sir P. Wodehouse, whose descendants were long seated here. It was modernized by the late T. Wright, Esq., and is now the property of James Cole, Esq. Queen Elizabeth, Henry I. and II and James I., occasionally resided here; but the latter, being offended at the remonstrance of a farmer over whose grounds he had been hunting, sold the manor-house to Sir P. Wodehouse. Though an ancient borough by prescription, Thetford is comparatively a modern Corporation. In the Conqueror's time, the town was governed by a propositus, and other inferior officers, generally nominated by the Crown; but in 1573, Queen Elizabeth granted the burgesses a charter, by which a mayor, ten aldermen, twenty common councilmen, a recorder, town clerk, sword-bearer, and two sergeants-at-mace, constituted the corporate body and their officers, till the passing of the Municipal Reform act of 1835. The mayor, during his mayoralty, was clerk of the markets, and in the following year officiated as coroner. The same charter also granted them permission to send two burgesses to Parliament, "provided they were discreet and honest men, and were elected at the expense of the borough." This charter was surrendered to Charles II., and an imperfect one obtained in its place; but this was rescinded in 1692, and the original charter restored. The town was governed by the latter till the passing of the Corporation Reform Bill, in 1835, under which the Town Council consists of a Mayor, four Aldermen, and twelve Councillors ;and a Commission of the Peace has since been granted, on the petitition of the burgesses. The income of the old corporation, in 1833 was £1,054, of which £955 was derived from the navigation of the Little Ousc, from Thetford to White-house ferry, formed under acts of the 22nd of Charles II., and 50th of George III. This navigation had been mismanaged and neglected till 1827, when it was put into the hands of a superintendent, and a debt of £4,200 incurred in improving it by the formation of sluices &c. The income of the new corporation, in 1840, was only £656 16s. 8d., of which £510 arose from borough rates; £47 15s. from rents, and £38 8s. lOd. from tolls and dues. The expenditure, in the same year, was £598 7s. Id. Quarter Sessions are held for the borough before the Recorder, the Mayor, and the Magistrates. The number of voters is about 300, nearly half of whom exercise their elective franchise as householders, and the rest as freemen. The present Members of Parliament for the borough are the Hon. W. B. Baring, and Sir Jas. Flower, Bart. There was a return of writs and gaol delivery here as early as the reign of Edward I. The Guild Hall, in which the Lent Assizes were held till their removal to Norwich, in 1833, is a fine old building, with commodious court rooms, &c. It was enlarged and repaired in 1800, and the gaol in 1816. The sword and mace borne before the mayor, were presented by Sir J. Williams, Kt., in 1678. The Corporate Body and Officers, (1843,) are as follows:-

Mayor, L. S. Bidwell, Esq.
Recorder, T. J. Birch, Esq.
Magistrates, Hy. W. Bailey, James Fison, Richard Munn, and Leonard Shelford Bidwell, Esquires.
Aldermen, Richard Mann, Shelford Clarke Bidwell, L. S. Bidwell, and William Watts Wickes, Esqrs.
Coroner, Robert Eagle Clarke, Esquire.
Councillors, Messrs. Edw. Palmer, George Tyrrell, Henry Roberts Tyrrell, Henry Green, Robert Snare, jun., Philip Jas. Cowell, Michael Frost West, Robert Edwards, William Whistler, John Simpson Spendlove, Wallis Rogers, and George Kingdom
Town Clerk and Clerk of the Peace, William Clarke, Esq. (and Clerk to the Magistrates for Guiltcross & Shropham Hundreds, Norfolk ; (& to Commisioners of Taxes.)
Clerk to the Borough Magistrates, Robert Willan, Esq.
Treasurer, B. Faux, Esq.
Auditors, Messrs. J. Brett & W. Johnson.
Gaoler & Chief Constable, Mr. Philip Penn Wilson.
Beadle # Crier, William. Boldrick.
The Rev. Robert Ward is chaplain, and H. W. Bailey, Esq., surgeon to the gaol; William Clarke, Jun. Esq, is sub-distributor of stamps; and Mr. George Green, corn inspector.

A neat cast iron Bridge crosses the Little Ouse, and connects the Norfolk and Suffolk parts of the town. It was built by the Corporation, in 1829, in lieu of the old wooden bridge, erected in 1794. As already noticed, the Little Ouse was made navigable from White House, near Brandon, to Thetford, under an act passed in the reign of Charles II. It opens a water communication, by small craft, from hence to Lynn, Wisbech, &c. On the 9th of August, 1843, this town, like many other places in the neighbourhood, suffered severely from a dreadful STORM of thunder, lightning, hail, rain, and wind. For about twenty-five minutes, between six and seven in the evening, rain and hail descended in torrents, and most of the windows that faced the hurricane were broken. Many of the cellars were filled with water, and some of the warehouses and shops were inundated to the depth of two feet. When the coach came in from Lynn, the horses, in passing through Bridge street, were up to their chests in water. In various parts of the town, walls were thrown down by the immense weight of water pressing against them ; and in the surrounding country, the gardens and corn fields sustained great injury. Many of the hailstones, or rather pieces of ice, were upwards of 14. inch square, and after the storm, more than 100 sparrows were picked up dead in the garden of W. Clarke, Esq. Similar storms happened in the preceding and in the same month, in various parts of the kingdom.
Churches And Monasteries..- The ruins of ecclesiastical and other buildings, in various parts of Thetford, furnish a few slight evidences of its ancient splendour. It had at one time 20 churches aud 8 monasteries, besides other religious and charitable foundations, and was called by the learned of the monkish ages, "Hierapolis et Monachopolis." Of these ecclesiastical edifices, the names only of many of them remain, and the sites of others are marked only by a few dilapidated walls. Most of the monastic institutions were granted at the dissolution, to Richard Fulmerston, Esq.,' and the Duke of Norfolk. The nunnery was founded originally for monks, as a cell to Bury Abbey, in the reign of Canute; but in 1176, the monks being reduced to two, it was re-founded for a convent of nuns, who removed hither from Lynn. Some of its remains may be seen in the outbuildings of a farm-house. The Priory, or Abbey, first erected on the Suffolk side of the town, in the churchyard of the cathedral, was removed to a more convenient situation on the margin of the river. It was founded by Roger Bigod, for Cluniac monks, in 1104. The ancient gateway, of freestone and black flint, with part of the church, &c. still remains. Its revenues wer» valued at the dissolution at £312. 11s. 4d. ; the Nunnery at £60. 9s. 8d.; and the Monastery of St. Sepulchre, at £82. 6s. The latter was founded by Earl Warren and Surrey, in 1109, for Augustine canons; and the porter's gate and part of the church still remain, in Canon's close, the latter converted into a barn. The Austin Friary was founded by John of Gaunt, Duke of Lancaster, in 1387, for mendicants, and its site is still called the priory close. On removing the foundations of the friary church, the remains of Lady Todenham and Lady Hengrave were discovered and re-interred near the same spot, under a handsome altar tomb, erected in 1807, by George Beauchamp, Esq. The latter lady died in 1402, and the former in 1412. The Maison de Dieu, which stood at the corner of Canon's close, was founded by William Rufus and Earl Warren, for two chaplains and three poor men, who were to be fed, clothed, and lodged, and have water for washing the pilgrims' feet. Here were four Hospitals for lepers, &c, dedicated to St. John, St. Mary and St. Julian, St. Mary Magdalen, and St. Margaret, but no vestiges of them now remain. Of the 20 churches, only three are now standing, and they give name to the three parishes. The first church here, dedicated to St. Mary, was rebuilt by Bishop Herfast, as the cathedral, and is supposed to have stood on the site of the free school. It had four churches appendant to it. The tower of St. Nicholas, and some small fragments of a few of the other ancient churches, are still extant. St. Mary's, formerly called St. Mary the Less, is the only church in the Suffolk part of the town, and its parish comprises 4480 acres, and 1142 souls. It is a large thatched fabric, with a square tower and six bells. The interior is neatly pewed, and has several marble monuments - one to the memory of Sir Rd. Fulmerston. The benefice is a perpetual curacy, valued in K.B. at £1.13s. 6d., and in 1835 at £83. It was augmented in 1722-3, with £200 given by Henry Campion, Esq., and £200 of Queen Anne's Bounty. The Duke of Norfolk is patron, and the Rev. William Collett, incumbent. St. Peter's is a large and handsome church, chiefly of flint, and consisting of a nave, chancel, side aisle, and tower. The latter, containing eight bells, was rebuilt in 1789, when a great part of the body was also rebuilt. The battlements on the south side, and the buttresses, are decorated with ornaments and large letters, inlaid in flint work. The living is a rectory, valued in K.B. at £5. Is. 5d., and in 1835 at £55. It was augmented in 1726 with £200 royal bounty, and £200 given by Hy. Campion, Esq.; and in 1814, with a parliamentary grant of £1200. It is united with the perpetual curacy of St Cuthbert's, in the patronage of the Duke of Norfolk, and incumbency of the Rev. Thomas Sworde. The latter benefice was valued in 1835 at £50, and was augmented with £1600 of Queen Anne's Bounty, in 1811 and 1813. St. Cuthbert's Church is a small fabric, with a tower and five bells. The other places of worship in the town are a Friends' Meeting House; a Wesleyan Chapel, built in 1830; an Independent Chapel, erected in 1817; a handsome Catholic Chapel, built in 1826 ; and a Primitive Methodist Chapel, erected in 1838.
The Free Grammar School and Hospital, in St. Mary's parish, on the Suffolk side of the river, were founded in 1666, by Sir Richard Fulmerston, who endowed them with part of the possessions of the dissolved monasteries, some of which had previously been employed for similar uses. The endowment now yields about £508 per annum, and the founder bequeathed it in trust to his heirs, for the support of a schoolmaster and usher, and a preacher or master of the hospital, and four almspeople, namely, two poor men and two poor women. After the trust had been for some time grossly abused, it was transferred to the Corporation. The school is open to all the boys of the borough, free of expense, both for English and classics. About one-half of the endowment goes to the master and usher. The four almspeople have each a weekly stipend of 5s , and the master or preacher of the hospital has a yearly salary of £75, besides £20 in lieu of a residence. The number of free scholars varies from 30 to 40. Here are National schools, built by subscription in 1825, and now attended by about 70 boys and 70 girls; a Spinning, Knitting, and Reading School, supported by subscription, for about 30 poor girls ; a school connected with the British and Foreign School Society; and an infant school, built in 1836. Sunday Schools are attached to all the churches and chapels. Harbord's Hospital, in Magdalen Street, was founded by Sir Charles Harbord, for the residence of six poor aged men. They were endowed for 99 years with £30 per annum, but this ceased many years ago. In 1701, Sir Joseph Wilkinson, then recorder of the borough, bequeathed to the Corporation, in trust for apprenticing poor children at Thetford, a house and land at Tuddenham, now let for £308 per annum, which is dispensed in apprentice fees of from £20 to £25. The Benefactions for distribution among the poor of Thetford, are £1000 three per cent, stock, left by Peter Sterne, Esq, in 1817, and the following yearly rentcharges, viz., £16 left by Sir Edwin Rich, in 1675 ; £8. 10s. by Thomas Duke of Norfolk; £3 by Mrs. Eadon; 20s. by Sir J. Wodehouse, in 1751; £4, by Alderman Barnham, out of the Bed Lion Inn; £12. 10s., by Hy. Smith, in 1627; and 20s., left by Samuel Snelling. There are in the town several lodges of Odd Fellows, of the London and Manchester Unions, and also several Friendly Societies, and other provident institutions.
Among the Worthies born at Thetford are Thomas Martin, F.A.S., author of the History of Thetford, born in 1696, and died 1771; and Thomas Paine, author of " The Rights of Man," "Common Sense," "The Age of Reason," and other political works, which, being written in a peculiarly popular style, with much freedom of thought and expression, and published at a time when the French Revolution had excited an extraordinary ferment in the public mind, they were eminently calculated to produce a revolution in this kingdom, and were consequently suppressed by Government. Paine died in America in 1800, but his bones were afterwards brought to England by the late William Cobbett. The late E. H. Barker, Esq, of Thetford, was author of " Parriana," or notices of the Rev. Samuel Parr, L.L.D., and also re-edited an edition of " Lempriere's Classical Dictionary." On the 12th of August, 1555, Thomas Cobbe, Roger Coe, and James Abbes, three martyrs to the Reformed religion, were burnt at Thetford, after undergoing a mock trial, before Michael Dunning, the bloody chancellor of Norwich. Assemblies are occasionally held in the town; but the small Theatre, which used to reap a good harvest during the assize week, has been but little used since the removal of the assizes to Norwich, in 1?33.


THETFORD DIRECTORY.
Post Office: Mr William Christopher, postmaster, King street. Letters despatched to London, &c, at 8 evening; to East Harling, &c. 20 min. past 6 morning; to Watton, &c, 6 morning ; & to Newmarket, &c. at i p. 8 night.
MARKED 1, reside in Backstreet; 2, Bury road, (in Suffolk ;) 3, Botany Bay Lane; 4, Bridge Street; 5, Chapel Street; 6, Croxton Road; 7, Earls Lane; 8, Gaol Street; 9, Guildhall Street; 10, Great Magdalen Street; 11, King Street; 12, Little Magdalen Street; 13, London Road, (in Suffolk ;) 14, Market Place; 15 Oldman's Lane; 16, Old Market Place; 17, Water Lane; 18, White Hart Street; 19, Raymond Street; and 20, in Well Street.

Ashby Rev. John (Indt) Norwich road
Buckley John, fellmongor & glover, Common
12 Barker Mrs Ann Elizabeth
10 Barton Miss Sarah
1 Best Henry, Esq. Prospect House
8 Bidwell Thomas, Esquire
7 Boldrick William, town crier
2 Burrell James, iron founder, &c
10 Burton John P., supervisor
10 Churchard Thomas, letter carrier
10 Clarke James, carrier
13 Clarke Rt. Eagle, Esq., coroner
13 Clarke William, Esq. solicitor, town clerk, union clerk, supt. regr. &c
13 Clarke William jun. sub-distributor of stamps
4 Clarke William bookkeeper
2 Coburn Isaac, tea dealer
18 Cole John, bookkeeper
2 Collett Rev William incumbent. of St.Mary's
12 Cooke Miss Elizabeth
12 Cooke John, dyer
1 Crouchey Mrs Margaret
Debenham Alfred, clerk, Ford Cottage
9 Dent Miss Marv
9 Duly Daniel, solicitor's clerk
Elsey Mrs. Norwich road
4 Faux J. B. Esq. bank manager
20 Faux Mrs Susan
Featherston Thomas, gent. Alley
4 Fison Jas. & Sons, bone and cake crushers & timber sawers, Steam Mill
13 Gates Rev. Robert (Catholic)
16 Gates Mrs Susan
2 Gilford Mrs Sarah
19 Gill Mrs Eliz. || 17 Godfrey Mrs
16 Gill Elia fishmonger
17 Godfrey Simon and George, boat builders and owners
11 Green George, corn inspector
11 Guest Mrs Mary D.
11 Hall Thomas, ironmonger, &c
9 Hailstone James, attorney's clerk
19 Harvey Wm. brush maker, &c
10 Harvey Miss Mary
12 Hawks Jas. clerk of St. Mary's
13 Hobbins Mr William
9 Humphrey Mr Jonathan
11 Hunt Edward, carriers' agent
2 Jackson Oliver, (P. Methodist Minister)
12 Jones Rev Thomas Lewis
2 Kemp John, gentleman
2 Lucas Jno. govrnr. Union Workhs
2 Mann David, manager
9 Mann Mr James
Marsham Miss S. V., New place
11 Methold Rev. Thomas, rector of Kilverstone
1 Neale Miss Mary Ann
12 Newbury Mr George
1 Norman Mr William
2 Palmer Mrs Susan
13 Pollard Mrs.
13 Pratt Miss My.
19 Price George, excise officer
2 Ray Robert, excise officer
13 Rumball Mrs F.
12 Sayer Richard Edvr. bank clerk
3 Sims Rev. Henry, curate
12 Smith Denny, registrar, &c
12 Spalding Thomas, foreman 11 Steggall Mrs Ann
15 Stone William, carrier
18 Sworde Rev. Thomas, rector of St. Peter's
9 Stokes Joseph, wood cutter
10 Thrower Jas. hay & straw dealer
9 TylerJohn Clement, mayor's officer
Vipon Mrs Mary, Ford place
11 Whistler John, game dealer
11 Whistler William. game dealer, and clerk of St.Peter's & St. Cuthbert's
16 Wilson Philip Penn, gaoler and chief constable
10 Woods Mr William
11 Young Andrew, Esquire
10 Youngman David, traveller
BANKS.
4 Harvey & Hudson, (on Hankey & Co;) J. B. Faux, manager
4 Oakes, Bevan, & Co., (on Barclay & Co ;) John Juler, agent FIRE AND LIFE OFFICES.
18 Family Endowment, G. Faux
13 Guardian, William Clarke
11 Norwich Equitable,William R. Green
Norwich Union, William Catton
4 Farmers' & General, J. Cronshey
4 Royal Exchange, John Juler
4 Suffolk Amicable, Henry Brown
13 Sun, Henry Newson
13 Union, John Houchen, junior
INNS AND TAVERNS.
4 Anchor, William Johnson
14 Angel, William Gunstone
Bell Inn, Robert Edwards (posting)
10 Black Horse, My. Tyrrell & Son
11 Chequers, Frederick Cooper
9 Dog & Partridge, Peter Fitch
16 Dolphin, William Boyce
18 Fleece, John Golding
14 Green Dragon, William Bullen
Half Moon, Hy. Moore, Mundford road
15 Horse Shoe, Samuel Burt
11 King's Arms, Mary Goodbody
18 King's Head, Isaac Gray
14 Red Lion, Chas. Dewing Tyler
1 Rose and Crown, Jas. Pooley
16 Spread Eagle, Thomas Pentney
2 Star, William Smith
2 Trowel & Hammer, John Carter
White Hart Inn, Chas. Balaam
19 White horse, Daniel Davy

Academies. (* take boarders.)
7 Bundy J.
9* Cross Mary
13 Free Grammar. Rev R. Ward, & J. P. Cowen
9 Gates John
2 Hayward Eliz.
* Kingdon John
8 National, J.J. Cobb & Maria Kingdon
4 Pecher E.
* Rogers misses. King's Houses
9 Spinning C. S. Miller
ATTORNEYS.
13 Clarke William
18 Faux Gregory
13 Houchen Jno. junior
4 Willan Robert
Auctioneers, &c.
11 Christopher W
13 Deck & Newson
11 Green George
Bakers, &c.
2 Clarke Susan
19 Craske Edmd.
I8 Handcock J. A
9 Harrold Ann
16 Jones William
Johnson Sarah
ll Oldman Stephen
15 Oldman William
2 Palmer Jas.
10 Rogers Mary
1 Stearne Susan
10 Traise John
Basket Makers.
20 Reynolds Jno. and Robert
Beer Houses.
7 Basham George
2 Cary John
7 Francis Frnces.
1 Fuller Jn. Avis.
9 Hammond Jno.
10 Howard Chas.
12 Jay William
Largent William, Mundford road
1 Meek Wm.
2 Parlett Fras.
6 Rudland Thomas
Skipping Thomas, Norwich road
2 Spalding John
8 Whistler Hy.
1 Wing Isaac
Blacksmiths.
18 Arbon John
19 Booth George, Booth Road.
I Chamberlain J.
16 Gill Rt. and bell hanger
10 Howard C.
II Howard Joseph.
1 King Thos.
1 Rushbrooke J.
Booksellers and Printers.
14 Carley Robert
17 Fleet James (binder only)
11 Priest Thos.
Boot & Shoe Makers.
Archer John
18 Car Isaac
lO Churchard Rt.
12 Davy George
9 Fletcher John
18 Frost Edw.
12 Foulger Jno.
14 Howard Jacob
15 Pallant William
1 Payman John
10 Pechey Joseph.
9 Stearne Brnd.
12 West Michl.
Braziers & Tinners.
8 Clarke J. & Son
9 Diver John
Brewers and Maltsters.
16 Bidwell Lnd. Shelford
5 Branford J.W.
10 Tyrrell Mary and Son
19 Wickes Wm. Watts
Bricklayers.
16 Boyce William
15 Huggins Rt.
12 Nunn Edw.
1 Norman William
12 Palmer Joseph.
2 Palmer James
10 Palmer John
2 Porter Robert
18 Snare Robert.
Brick & Tile Makers
6 Snare Rt. Sen.
Tyrrell Hy. Rbt., Muudford road.
BUTCHERS.
1 Allison Philip
16 Boyce James
lO FIack Nathan.
14 Fuller George
1 Fuller John
10 Whisker Thoma
14 Webster Thomas
18 Wright William
Cabinet Makers & Upholsterers.
2 Atkins William
9 Battle John
4 Browne Jn. B.
11 Oldham John (and appraiser.)
Chemists & Druggts
4 Cronshev Jas.
11 Nye Charles
China, Glass &c Dealers.
11 Catton.M & A.
10 Scales T.jun.
Coach Makers.
2 Huggins George
13 Palmer Alfred
Confectioners.
14 Bond William
18 Edward Jas. (& toy dealer.)
11 Pratt Sarah
10 Traise John
Coopers.
2 Parlett Fras.
12 Thompson G
Corn and Coal Merchants. (* are Maltsters.)
16* Bidwell Ind. Shelford
5*Branford J.W.
4*Fison Jas. and Sons. Steam mill
5 Gill John Withers & Garner (& boatownrs.)
8* Tyrrell Henry Roberts
Corn Millers.
10 Flack N.
Gill J. W. & G. Water mill
3 Green Henry
15 Oldman William
6 Oldman W. jun.
Curriers, &c.
18 Frost Edw.
14 Howard Jacob
Skippins Thomas, Norwich road
Earthenware Manufacturers. (Brown ware.)
Scales T. sen. & jun.Croxton road
Farmers.
2 Bartlett Henry Canons' warren
Featherston T.A
3 Green Hy.
2 Hipperson Jno. Thetford place
Turner Harrison, Norwich road
18 Tyrrell H.R.
lO Tyrrell Walter
Gardeners, &c.
2 Sparrow Thomas, Nursery
13 Stebbing Joseph
Grocers & Drapers. (* Hatters also.)
18*Gayford Fdk.
11* Green George
10 Hammond Sophia
12 Hill Chas.
9 Hill Mary
4* Juler John
16 Kingdon George
5 Richardson Thomas.
14* Rogers Wallis
18 Spurgeon Simeon
Hair Dressers.
18 Christopher B.
10 Storkey William
Iron and Brass Founders & Agricultural machine makers.
Burrell Chas. St. Nicholas lane
11 Burrell & Hall (& engineers.)
13 Palmer Edw. Ironmongers.
14 Bond William (& gun maker.)
4 Brown Hy.
11 Burrell & Hall
Joiners, &c.
9 Battle John
12 Hetts William
ID Coats William
)9 Hambling Js.
16 Johnson John
12 Palmer Joseph.
1 Smith James
12 Thompson G.
14 Tyler C D.
18 Tyrrell George
Lime Burners.
12 Palmer Joseph.
2 Porter Robert
12 Thompson G.
Linen & Woollen Drapers. (See Grocers, &c.)
9 Neobard John
11 Scott John
Milliners.
7 Brock. M. & Ann
20 Brown J.
11 Clarke Har.
2 Cummings M.
12 Bavy Mary
11 Howard Eliz.
18 Nunn Sophia
10 Newell Eleanor
1 1 Pennington S.
27 Petch Sarah
12 Tyler Eliz.
PAPER MFRS.
Munn Hd. & Co. Ouse mill
Plumbers, Glaz. and Painters.
16 Browne Peter
11 Norman Sarah
9 Pretty John
Rope Makers.
12 Cock John
Noble William, Common
Saddlers.
18 Abel Samuel
10) Barnard Jno.
4 Catton William
6 Codling John
Shopkeepers.
16 Basham George
Booth Rd. Norwich road
12 Burgess Eliz.
18 Edwards Jas.
2 Gunstone Bd.
15 Nunn Mary
Stone Masons.
1 Knowles Hy.
10 Snare Rt. sen.
Straw Hat Makers.
17Bickman M.A
18 Garner Ann
11 Howard Har.
12 Hurrell Har.
18 Tyler Har.
Surgeons.
14 Bailey Henry Woodruffe
11 Best Hy. W.
13 Firth Charles Edward
Tailors (* Drapers also.)
2 Baker Noah
4* Brett John
11* Carley Php.
11* Christopher William
1 Ellis Philip
7 Farrow Benj.
2 Hayward John
Jackson Evan, Norwich road
11 * Meadows J.
9* Neobard Jno.
19 Sewell William
9 Smith William
12* Towell George
Tanner.
5 Frost Edward, (fell-monger & wool merchant.)
Timber Merchts.
4 Brown Hy.
17 Godfrey Simon & Geo.(& boat builders)
1O Holliugaworth Richard
12 Thompson G.
18 Tyrrell George
Veterinary Surgeons.
11 Howard Joseph
4 Parry Thomas
Watch Makers.
12 Branch Chas
11 Carley Jonathan
4 Spendlove John sompson
13 Zippel Chas (Ger, clock)
Wheelwrights.
20 Howard John
2 Huggins George
1 King Thomas
12 Thompson G
Wine and Spirit Merchants.
13 Bidwell Lend, Shelford
13 Clay Rt Thomas
11 Cole Jas jun (& ale) Kings House
5 Gill J Withers & Garner
19 Wickes William Watts

COACHES.
From the Bell Inn.
To London, 1/4 before 6 morning, 1/2 before 11 morning, and at 11 night
To Bury, I past 10 morning ; to Cambridge, 2 afternoon; to Norwich, | before 4 morning; and at 1 and 3 afternoon; daily, except Sunday. Also, to Bury, Wed. 10 morning & Tue. Thur. & Sat. 8 evening; and to Lynn, Tues. at 7, & Thu. & Sat. at 8 morning
From the White Hart.
Mail, to Bury, Newmarket, &c. at 8 night; and to Norwich, 6 morning
From the King's Head.
To Lynn, Tues. 7, & Thu. & Sat. at 8 morning; & to Bury, same evenings, at 8 VESSELS to Lynn weekly: J. W. & G. Gill, and S. and G. Godfrey, owners and wharfingers
CARRIERS.
Deacon, Mack, & Co.'s Vans, &c., to London, &c. 2 morning ; and to Norwich,
&c. 11 night, daily (except Sunday ;) Edward Hunt, agent, King street
W. Fowell's Van, from Gaol street to London, Monday, 12 noon
To Bury, Abm. Wolsey, Magdalen street Wed; G. Ashhurn (Green Dragon,)
Wed and Sat; and William Stone, Oldman's lane, Wednesday & Saturday
To Dereham, &c. Abm. Wolsey, Magdalen street, Monday and Thursday
To Diss, Thomas Miller, Oldman's lane, Friday morning
To Ipswich, G. Lambert, Green Dragon, Monday
To Ixworth, John Rowley (Chequers) Wednesday & Saturday, 2 afternoon
To Lynn, Rd. Steward, Mundford road. Mon. & Thu. 9 morning ; & to Bury, Wednesdaj' and Saturday
To Norwich, Jas. Clarke, Great Magdalen street, Mon. & Thu. 3 afternoon; & to Brandon, Wed. &Sat. 2 afternoon


And Last updated on: Thursday, 30-Jun-2016 21:08:52 BST