Many accurate 1921 census transcriptions have already been added to the pub history site, including London, and parts of Middlesex.
Suffolk Villages Home Page | Ipswich Borough & Suffolk Hundreds |Suffolk Villages and Towns A - Z
THORINGTON in 1844, is a straggling village, 4 miles S.E. of Halesworth, has
in its parish 157 souls, and 1411 acres of land, exclusive of roads and a few
acres of common. Lieutenant Col. Henry Bence Bence, of Thorington Ham., owns
nearly all the parish, and is lord of the manor, which is called Thorington
Wimples, and was anciently the demesne of Walter de Norwich. It afterwards
passed to the Uffords and Cokes, but has been long held by the Pence family, one
of whom, about a century ago, fixed his seat at the Hall, which was rebuilt in
1820, at the cost of about £15,000; and stands in a pleasant park of nearly 200
acres, near the Beccles road, 6 1/2 miles N.N.E. of Saxmundham. The Church (St.
Peter) is an ancient edifice with a round tower, and was repaired and repewed in
1836, at the cost of £200. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in K.B. at
£7, and now having 11a. 2r. 17p of glebe, and a yearly modus of £283 17s., in
lieu of tithes. Lieut. Col. Bence is patron, and the Rev. Launcelot Robert
Brown, M.A., of Kelsale, is the incumbent. The Church Land is let for £2 per
annum. The Farmers are Robert Appleton, William Catling, James Edmunds, James
Friend, James Lay, James Peek, and James Rush. Samuel Marshland is the
gamekeeper. No-where-house, within the bounds of Thorington, is Extra Parochial.