I am the number 1 site for UK Pub history & a historical street directory of London

Search the pub history site by surname, address or pub name

Troston, Suffolk Villages & Towns - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories

Suffolk Villages Home Page | Ipswich Borough & Suffolk Hundreds |Suffolk Villages and Towns A - Z

Troston Public Houses

Troston in 1844, is a neat and pleasant village, 2 1/2 miles N.W. of Ixworth, and 6 1/2 miles N. N. E. of Bury St. Edmund's, has in its parish 409 souls, and 1,776 acres of land, including a sandy floor of 400a., covered with ling and furze. It formerly belonged to Bury Abbey, and afterwards to the Maddocks and Brandish families. Robert Evelyn Lofft, Esq., is now lord of the manor, but part of the soil belongs to Mr. Chas. Wayman, and a few smaller owners. Troston Hall, the beautiful seat of R. E. Loft, Esq., was greatly improved by the late Capel Lofft, Esq, a learned barrister, an eminent writer on legal, political, and other subjects, and a warm patron of literary talents. To gratify his own peculiar taste, he inscribed almost every tree in his garden and pleasure grounds, either to names of classical celebrity, or to such as are venerable for the virtues of the persons who bore them. A laurel bears the name of Howard, to commemorate that philanthropist's visit to Troston, in 1786, and a large elm is denominated Evelyn, after the celebrated antiquary and planter. Troston was purchased in 1680, by Robert Maddocks, Esq, whose father was descended from the family formerly possessed of the sovereignty of Wales, and left that principality at the age of 13, on foot, friendless and alone, in search of employment. Having arrived in London, he repaired to Cheapside, where, observing a merchant soil his shoe, in crossing the street, he immediately ran aud brushed off the dirt. The merchant, struck with the boy's attention, enquired into his situation, and having heard his story, took him into his service. After some time, he was employed in the counting-house ; and in the sequel, became a partner in the firm, and acquired a considerable fortune. At Troston Hall, was born, in 1713, Edward Capel, (maternal uncle of the late Mr. Lofft,) a writer, distinguished by his commentaries on Shakespear, and by his beautiful edition of the works of the immortal dramatist, in 10 volumes octavo. He held the office of deputy inspector of plays, to which is attached a salary of 200 per annum. The Church (St. Mary) is a neat thatched fabric with a tower and three bells, and contains several neat monuments. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in K. B. at 10 4s. 7d., and now having a yearly modus of 332, awarded in 1842, in lieu of tithes. The patronage is in the Crown, and the Rev. R. J. Buller, B. A., is the incumbent. The Wesleyans have a small chapel here. In the 18th of Charles II., 20 given to the poor by Thomas Lamb, and 14, given by other donors, were invested in the purchase of a yearly rent charge of 34s. out of land now belonging to Rt. E. Lofft, Esq. This annuity is distributed in blankets. The Poor's, Allotment, 14a. 1r. 3lp., was awarded at the enclosure, in 1806, and is now let for 22 a year, which is distributed among the poor of the parish, in coals. The Church Land, 1A. 22p. was allotted at the enclosure, in lieu of the old Church Land, and is let for 21s. a year.
Blake John, tailor
Buller Rev. Reginald John, B. A., Rectory
Downs Thomas, blacksmith
Fuller John, corn miller
Girkin John, flour dealer
Gladwell George, shopkeeper
Jacob George, victualler, Bull
Lofft Robert Evelyn, Esq., Hall
Pleasance. William, gamekeeper
Richardson Charles, gentleman
Richardson Capt. Frederick
Vincent Rd. painter and glazier
Yeomans Robert, carpenter
FARMERS.
Fisk Isaac, Hall
Mathew Robert
Roiser Thomas
Stennett Richard
Wayman Charles (owner)
Shoemakers.
Girkin William & Rt
Meadows William
Carrier.
James Frost, to Bury, wed & sat


And Last updated on: Thursday, 30-Jun-2016 19:47:13 BST