Many accurate 1921 census transcriptions have already been added to the pub history site, including London, and parts of Middlesex.
Suffolk Villages Home Page | Ipswich Borough & Suffolk Hundreds |Suffolk Villages and Towns A - Z
UBBESTON in 1844, is near one of the sources of the river Blythe, 6 1/2 miles
S.W. of Halesworth, and N.N.E. of Framlingham, is a village and parish
containing 243 inhabitants, and 1207a. 1r. 14p. of land. Lord Huntingfield is
lord of the manor, but part of the soil belongs to the Rev. R. H. Frere, Mr.
Clutterbuck, and several smaller owners. The manor was held by St. Neots priory,
and was granted at the dissolution to John Pope, Esq. It was for a long period
the seat and property of the Stone, whose heiress carried it in marriage, in the
17th century, to the ancient family of Kemp, who for some time occupied the
Hall, now a farm house. The Church (St. Peter) is a discharged vicarage, valued
K.B. at £6. 13s. 4d., but endowed with the rectorial tithes by Mrs. Mary Sone,
in 1685. The glebe is nearly 7 acres., and the tithes have been commuted for a
yearly modus of £316. 16s. The Rev. E. Holland is patron, and the Rev. Samuel
Badeley, L.L.B., of Yoxford, is the incumbent. The Poor's Estate consists of two
cottages, a garden, and a blacksmith's shop, let for £12. 3s. a year, which is
sometimes improperly expended in the service of the church, instead of being
distributed among the poor parishioners.
Collett Capt. Anthony
Oxborough Thomas, beer house
Prime Thomas, shopkeeper
Smyth Charles, corn miller
Smyth Simon, blacksmith
Cobbold Thomas, Ubbeston Hall