UK Pub history research and London historical street directory

Search the historical London street directory and pub history site by surname, street or pub name

Walsham le Willows, Suffolk Villages & Towns - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories

Suffolk Villages Home Page | Ipswich Borough & Suffolk Hundreds |Suffolk Villages and Towns A - Z

Walsham le Willows Public Houses

WALSHAM-LE-WILLOWS in 1844, is a large neat village, pleasantly situated 5 miles E. of Ixworth, and S. W. by W. of Botesdale, and 11 miles from Bury, Diss, Stowmarket, and Thetford. It has in its parish 1,265 souls, and 2,760 acres of land, varying from a rich clay, to a light sand and mixed loam. Gilbert-de-Blund had the lordship in the Conqueror's time, and gave part of the parish to Ixworth priory, but after the Dissolution, the rectory and the lands called East-House, were granted to Richard and Eliz. Codington, and afterwards passed to the Holts. Another large estate here, was held by William-de-la-Pole, Duke of Suffolk, in Henry Vlth's reign, and was granted in the 6th of Henry VIII. to George, Earl of Shrewsbury. It afterwards passed to the Hunts, who held it in Kirby's time. Jas. B. Powell, Esq. is now lord of the manor, but a great part of the parish belongs to H. J. and T. H. Wilkinson, S. Golding, and J. Fisher, Esqrs., who have handsome mansions here; J. E. Munro,Esq., Rev. T. B. Syer, Jas. H. Amys, Esq., Rev. James Pye, Miss Lloyd, and many smaller owners, some of whom reside in the parish, in neat and commodious dwellings. The Church (St. Mary) is a large and handsome structure, with a tower containing six bells, and surmounted by a small spire. It contains several elegant monuments belonging to the Hunt and Wilkinson families. The interior was cleaned and beautified in 1843, when, on washing off the whitewash on the south side, some fine ancient paintings were discovered upon the wall. A small organ was erected by subscription in 1842, at the cost of 80. The tithes belong mostly to the principal land owners, and were commuted in 1843. Samuel Golding, Esq. is patron of the perpetual curacy, which was certified at 12, and valued in 1835, at 93. The Rev. Thomas Lawton is the incumbent. The Baptist, Independents, and Wesleyans have chapels in the village. The Town Estate has, from an early period, been vested in trust, for the benefit of the parishioners, and comprises the Guildhall and Town House, occupied rent-free, by poor families, and 57a. 3r. 24p. of land, let for 85 per annum, all in this parish, except 3a. 2r. in Badwell Ash and Stanton. The rents are applied (after paying the taxes, &C.) in payment of the churchwardens' expenses, and the expense of collecting the Lord's quit and free rents; in paying the salary of the parish-clerk; in repairing bridges; and in providing clothing for poor women, and coals for poor housekeepers. The poor parishioners have also 3 15s. 2d. a year from 3a. of land forming part of Rookwood's Charity. (See Rickinghall Superior.) A school is supported by subscription, except the payment of one penny per week by each scholar.
Burcham Charles Manby, relieving officer, and registrar of Births, Deaths, and Marriages
Burwood Elizabeth, milliner
Burwood Thomas, tailor's foreman
Chapman Charles, baker & confectioner
Clarke Richard, thatcher
Clarke Samuel, Thatcher
Death Mary Ann, milliner
Drake Henry, plumber & glazier
Gittus James, book-keeper
Golding and King, solicitors
Golding Samuel, Esq., solicitor
Hayward William, farm bailiff
Howe Charles, bricklayer
King John Wardle, solicitor
Lake Ann, victualler, Blue Boar
Last William, watch, clock, & gun maker
Meadows Mr. William
Meadows Zachariah, Cooper
Miller John, Sen., gentleman
Miller John, jun., corn merchant, maltster, &. ale and porter brewer
Mulley Caleb, thatcher
Nunn James, drillman
Osborne George, hair dresser
Pearson Edward, victualler, Black Swan
Pearson George, cattle dealer
Pollard William, gardener & nurseryman
Pi-entice Samuel, gentleman
Seaman John, wheelwright
Spink Ann, straw hat maker
Vautier Mrs., gentlewoman
Vincent Samuel, veterinary surgeon
Wakeham Mrs. Jane
Warren Nathaniel, attorney's clerk
Wilkinson Hooper John, Esq., Walsham House
Wilkinson Capt. Thomas H., West-street
Academies.
Burcham Charlotte
Lock William
Pyatt John
Beer Houses.
Callow Robert - Four Ashes
Clarke John - Cherry Tree
Day William
Blacksmiths.
Baker George
Smith George
Thurston William
Boot & Shoe Makers.
Baker John
Colson Edward
Pallent Robert
Read Charles
Read Emmerson
Spink Robert
Butchers.
Colson Alfred
Lake Thomas
Youngman John
Carpenters, &c.
Day William
Jaggard Henry
Jaggard William, (& baker)
Jeffery William
Corn Millers.
Darby William
Plummer Frederick
FARMERS. (* are Owners.)
Baker James
Buckel John, Fishpond
Cornell William, (& maltster)
Darby William
* Elliott John
Finch George
* Fisher John, Walsham Hall
* Gapp Richard
Goddard Jane, West-street
* Hatten Rt. Hayward
Hunt Thomas
Matthews George, West-street
Moore John, West-street
Nunn Samuel
Plummer Henry
Plummer John
Proctor John
Simpson Zach.
Thurston John, High Hall
West Soloman, Harts Hall
Whitbread John, Crown land
Youngman John
Grocers & Drapers.
Death Charles
Newson George Robert (& British Wine dealer)
Pollard Henry
Proctor Ann
Rope Makers.
Pamment Isaac
Pollard William
Saddlers.
Boggis John
Scarfe George
SURGEONS.
Freeman William A.
Kent Walton
Tailors.
Clarke Rainbird
Cornell James
Death Charles
CARRIERS. George Firman, to Ipswich, Thurs.
Jas. Fenn & George Finch, to Bury, wed. & saturday


And Last updated on: Thursday, 30-Jun-2016 19:52:55 BST