UK Pub history research and London historical street directory

Search the historical London street directory and pub history site by surname, street or pub name

Wenhaston, Suffolk Villages & Towns - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories

Suffolk Villages Home Page | Ipswich Borough & Suffolk Hundreds |Suffolk Villages and Towns A - Z

Wenhaston Public Houses

WENHASTON in 1844, is a large straggling village, on a bold acclivity, overlooking the vale of the river Blythe, 3 miles S.E. by E. of Halesworth, has in its parish 2327 acres of land, and 1094 inhabitants, of whom 123 are in MELLES, or Mells, a hamlet of scattered farms and a few cottages, on the south bank of the Blythe, 2 miles E.S.E. of Halesworth, where there are still considerable ruins of Melles Chapel, which was dedicated to St. Margaret. Wenhaston was held by Sibton Abbey, and was granted at the dissolution to Thomas Duke of Norfolk. It afterwards passed to the Sparrow, Leinan, and other families. It lies mostly in the manors of Wenhaston Orange and Thorington Hall, of which the Rev. Jeremy Day is lord; and partly in Col. Bence's manor of Thorington Wimpoles. The manor of Mells and a great part of soil in that hamlet belongs to the trustees of the late — Collison, Esq. It was held by Mettingham college, and was granted at the dissolution to Thomas Denney. N. Micklethwaite, Esq., the Earl of Gosford, and the Youngs, Burgess, and some other families have estates in the parish. The Church (St. Peter) stands on an eminence, commanding a view of the sea, and is an ancient structure, with a tower and six bells. It has several monuments of the Lemans, who were formerly seated at the Hall, now occupied by a farmer. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in K.B. at 6. Os, 10d, in the patronage of the Crown, and incumbency of the Rev. Richard Day, M.A. The Earl of Gosford is impropriator of the rectorial tithes, which were commuted for a yearly modus of 378. 2s. 3d. in 1839, when the vicarial tithes were also commuted for 142 per annum. Here is a Wesleyan chapel, built in 1822, and enlarged in 1835. The Town Estate, let for 54 a year, which is applied with the church rate, comprises a building in four tenements, anciently called the Guildhall, granted by the prior of Blythburgh; 4a. of land, vested at a remote period for the use of the church and poor; and about 16a., formerly waste land, granted by the lord of the manor of Blythburgh, in 1770. William Pepyn, in 1562, bequeathed for the schooling of poor children, property now consisting of a dwelling, called the Schoolhouse, and 3a. 2b. 26p. of land, let for 16 a year. In 1563, Reginald Lessey left for the same purpose 3a. of copyhold land, near Blythburgh, now let for 10 a year. The school trustees have also 45, lent on mortgage, and derived from the sale of timber. The rents and interest are paid to a schoolmaster for instructing about 17 poor children in reading, writing, and arithmetic. In 1680, Mary Collen left a yearly rent-charge of 3, for repairing her monument and the relief of six poor widows. This annuity is paid out of about 45a. of land in Melles hamlet, occupied by Mr. Haward. Petty Sessions are held at Wenhaston every third Wednesday.

WENHASTON PARISH.
Marked * are in Melles hamlet.
Butcher Matthew, tailor
Cole George, schoolmaster
Coleman Henry, brewer
Dickinson James, hair dresser
Funnell Thomas, schoolmaster
Haward Mrs Amelia
* Higham Samuel S. corn miller
Mortimer Harriet, schoolmistress
Nunn James, millwright
Raven Robert, butcher & beerhouse
Watling Frederick, vict. Compasses
White Chas. tailor & parish clerk
White Chas. jun. relieving officer & registrar
Youngs Mr John, jun.
Blacksmiths.
Danford James
Newby William
Swain Robert
Boot & Shoe Makers
Brunning Jacob
Brunning Robert
Harper Samuel
Ludbrook Robert
Peck William
Tuthill, John
Farmers.
Andrews William (& corn miller)
Butcher Francis
Burgess Thomas
Friend William
* George Chpr
Harper Eliz.
* Haward Chas
Leggett James
Lines William, Hall
Nolloth Robert
Smith John
Plant Edward
*Turrell George
Wade Robert
* Watling George
* Wells James
Whittingham Frs
Youngs John
Grocers etc
Cole William
Benstead Harriet and sadder)
Burrows William
Dunford Robert
Tuthill John
Joiners etc
Cole William
Webb Robert
Wheelwright.
Peck William, (and shopkeeper)


And Last updated on: Monday, 27-Jun-2016 16:08:59 BST