UK Pub history research and London historical street directory

Search the historical London street directory, pub history site and World War One records of gallantry and casualties by surname, street or pub name; including early street addresses in London through the Victorian pub history of London. This site justs get more interesting.

Weston Coney, Suffolk Villages & Towns - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories

Suffolk Villages Home Page | Ipswich Borough & Suffolk Hundreds |Suffolk Villages and Towns A - Z

CONEY.WESTON in 1844, is a village, 6 miles N.N.E. of Ixworth, and 5 miles W.N.W. of Botesdale, and S. by W. of East Harling, has in its parish 244 souls, and 1,321a. 1r. 1 p. of land. The Hall, a neat mansion in a pleasant park, near a small rivulet, is the seat of Edward Bridgman, Esq., lord of the manor, and owner of all the parish, except a farm of 600a. belonging to T. Thornhill, Esq. The manor formerly belonged to Bury Abbey. The Church, (St. Mary) is a small thatched structure, and the rectory, valued in K.B. at 13 0s. 4d., is consolidated with Barningham. The tithes here were commuted in 1843, for a yearly modus of 433 19s. The Town Estate comprises two cottages occupied by paupers, and 8a. of land let for 10 12s. a year, and partly lying in Barningham parish. The rent is applied in the reparation of the church, and when any surplus remains, it is added to the poor rates. A benefaction of 10, given by R. Firmage, in 1611, for the poor of this parish, was laid out in the purchase of land at Rattlesden, now let for 1 10s. 6d. per annum. The poor parishioners have also 10a. of fen-land, awarded to them, at an enclosure about 70 years ago, and now let for 5 a year, subject to the right of the poor to enter and cut turf for fuel. Directory-
Edward Bridgman, Esq., Coney-Weston Hall;
David Bloomfield, shopkeeper;
Fras. Bloomfield, shoemaker;
Robert Calver, farmer, Heath;
William Wiseman, Street farm;
and Rev. Garrod Wade, Lodge.


And Last updated on: Wednesday, 29-Jun-2016 21:20:54 BST