I am the number 1 site for UK Pub history & a historical street directory of London

Search the pub history site by surname, address or pub name

Whitton cum Thurlston, Suffolk Villages & Towns - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories

Suffolk Villages Home Page | Ipswich Borough & Suffolk Hundreds |Suffolk Villages and Towns A - Z

Whitton cum Thurlstone Public Houses & 1865 directory

WHITTON in 1874, is a small well-built village, on the Norwich road, two miles N. by W. of Ipswich, and 1 1/2 miles N.E. of Bramford railway station. Adjoining it, on the west, are the Crown Inn, the White House, and a few other buildings, which are in the parish of Bramford, but in the borough of Ipswich, which includes all the parish or Whitton, except a few houses at the northern extremity, in Bosmere and Claydon Hundred.
Whitton Parish contains 1445 acres, including the ancient hamlet of Thurlston. It is styled Whitton-cum-Thurlston, and had 542 inhabitants in 1871. It is in Ipswich Union and County Court district. The principal owners of the soil are John Orford, Esq., of Brookes Hall, Ipswich, who is lord of the manor; Thos. N. Fonnereau, Esq., Mrs. F. Steward, of Thurlston Lodge, and Ipswich Charity Trustees. Whitton Church (St. Mary), is a neat structure, which was rebuilt in 1851, at the cost of about 800. It was enlarged in 1862, by the addition of a south aisle and a handsome tower and spire, erected with the materials of Thurlston old church, which was in use in 1500, but the benefice being consolidated with the rectory of Whitton, it was neglected after that period, and having long been used as a barn, was taken down about ten years ago. There are two stained windows in memory of Charles Steward, Esq., who died in 1867; and another in the chancel in remembrance of Captain Orton Howorth, second son of the rector. The Register dates from 1585. The rectory, with the vicarage of Thurlston annexed to it, is valued in K.B. at 6 11s. 5d.  and now at 250. The Bishop of Norwich is patron, and the Rev. William Howorth, M.A., hon. canon of Norwich, and rural dean, is the rector, and has a good residence and 40 acres of glebe. Thurlston Church (St. Botolph) was parochial, and is no doubt the church mentioned in Domesday Book, under the name of Thurlweston. It was appropriated to St. Peter's Priory, and was granted by Henry VIII., with the manor, to Cardinal Wolsey, and by Queen Elizabeth to Thomas Seckford, Esq. The great tithes of Whitton and Thurlston have been commuted for a yearly rent charge of 443, of which 273 belongs to the rector, and 170 to Mrs Woolnough, the impropriator and owner of the manor of Thurlston. Here are several neat houses; and a National School, built in 1851, at a cost of about 180. The average attendance is 48. The Poor's Land, about 4acres, let for 5 a year, was purchased with 20 marks left by John Reynolds, in 1647. A fine specimen of Roman tesselated pavoment, now in Ipswich Museum, was discovered here a few years ago; on the  property belonging to John Orford, Esq.

Post Office at Mr. George Self's, nearest Money Order Office. Box closes at 6.15 p.m. Letters via Ipswich, which is the
Baker George, joiner & shopkeeper
Bird Thomas, brewer
Blake Capt. George, Sparrows' Nest
Bryant Joshua Henry, maltster at Ipswich; h Rose villa
Bugg Robert, farm bailiff
Chandler William, farmer, Castle Hill farm
Chapman William, farmer, Thurlston Chapel farm
Clarke George, boot manufacturer. at Ipswich; & farmer, Corporation farm
Cook Henry, farmer, Grove farm
Cox James, corn miller; & Ipswich
Crisp Mrs Lucy, National schoolmistress
Day Mrs Harriet, shopkeeper
Day William, boot & shoe maker
Edwards Rev Edwin
Elmslie Mr Stewart, Ballater lodge
Fisk Charles, farmer, Corporation farm; & brickmaker at Kesgrave
Harrison Joseph, joiner & builder
Harvey Joseph, farm bailiff
Howorth Rev William, M.A., J.P., hon. canon of Norwich, rural dean, and rector of Whitton, Rectory
James Mrs Charlotte, laundress
King Hy. blacksmith & wheelwright
Lambert Mr James
Lovely William, victualler, Crown
Noble —, farmer, Sparrows' Nest form
Plant Mrs Maria
Quinton Mr George, Lilburne house
Rowland Samuel Eagle, victualler, Maypole
Self George, foreman miller & postmaster
Sheldrake Ephraim, fishmonger
Smith Richard, boot & shoe maker and parish clerk
Steward Mrs Fanny, Thurlston lodge
Wall Mr Edward
Wright Mr John




And Last updated on: Thursday, 16-Jun-2016 20:12:38 BST