I am the number 1 site for UK Pub history & a historical street directory of London

Search the pub history site by surname, address or pub name

Wissett, Suffolk Villages & Towns - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories

Suffolk Villages Home Page | Ipswich Borough & Suffolk Hundreds |Suffolk Villages and Towns A - Z

Wissett Public Houses & Wissett 1865 directory

WISSETT in 1844, is a pleasant village, in a narrow valley, on one of the tributary streams of the Blythe, 2 miles N.W. of Halesworth, has in its parish 470 souls, and 2260 acres of land. In the reign of Henry III., it was the lordship of the Earl of Richmond, and it afterwards passed to the Earl of Savoy, and from him to John de Vaux, whose two daughters and co-heirs married William de Nerford and Thomas Lord Roos, or Ross W. E. Hartopp, Esq., is lord of the manor, called Wissett lac Rosse, but the greater part of the soil belongs to the Parkyns, Tacon, Wilcox, Bence, Micklethwaite, Crabtree, Chase, Calver, Crisp, Wright, Pedgrift, Aldred, Button, Pattison, and other families, some of whom have neat houses here. The parish is mostly freehold, and its gross annual rental is now estimated at 3637. The Church (St. Andrew) is a small antique fabric, with a round tower. The north entrance is under a fine Saxon arch. The east end was repaired seven years ago, and the interior was new pewed in 1843, when a gallery was erected at the west end. William Edmund Hartopp, Esq., is impropriator of the rectory, and patron of the perpetual curacy, valued, in 1835, at 105, and now enjoyed by the Rev. Robert Kemp, for whom a new parsonage, was built in 1843, at the cost of about 700, towards which the patron gave 200, and the Governors of Queen Anne's Bounty 200. The tithes have been commuted for yearly moduses of 452. 10s. 2d. to the impropriator, and 90 to the incumbent. A house and garden have been vested in trust, from an early period, for the reparation of the church, and were let, in 1774, on a lease of 99 years, at the annual rent of 1. 5s. 4d., the lessee covenanting to lay out a large sum in rebuilding the house. Here is a School, supported by subscription, for the instruction of about 30 poor children.
Aldrich Thomas, bricklayer & whiting manufacturer
Algar George, tailor and shopkeeper
Barber Richard, joiner
Kerry Joseph, shoemaker & parish clerk
Davy Lucy, schoolmistress
Gooch Samuel, vict. Swan
Howlett Jonathan, auctioneer, &c. Hill House
Howlett and Lenny, auctioneers and estate agents
Howlett William, beerhouse keeper
Hufflett George, blacksmith
Keable John, corn miller
Kemp Rev Robert, incumbent, Parsonage
Lenny Charles, auctioneer, &c
Markham William, shoemaker
Pedgrift William Henchman, surgeon, Wissett Place
Phillips John, gentleman
Watson Henry, blacksmith
Woods William, brewer and shopkeeper
Farmers. * are Owners
* Aldred Robert
Allen Richard, Red House
* Banks William
Banks William
Bootman Eliz.
* Button John, Brook Hall
Chase Elizabeth
Ecclestone Jas.
Goldsmith Jas.
Mayhew Edward
Moore Jno. Robert
Prime Philip
* Self Thomas, (and gardener)
Tillott Jno. Lodge
Walker John
Walker John
Winter James



And Last updated on: Monday, 27-Jun-2016 17:06:31 BST