I am the number 1 site for UK Pub history & a historical street directory of London

Search the pub history site by surname, address or pub name

Wrentham, Suffolk Villages & Towns - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories

Suffolk Villages Home Page | Ipswich Borough & Suffolk Hundreds |Suffolk Villages and Towns A - Z

Wrentham Public Houses

WRENTHAM, a large and well-built village, partly on the Yarmouth road, 9 miles S.S.W. of Lowestoft, 5 miles N. of Southwold, and 8 miles S.E. by S. of Beccles, has in its parish 1020 souls, and 1280 acres of land. At the Domesday survey, Robert de Pierpoint held the manor of the famous Earl Warren. It afterwards passed to the Poinings. In the reign of Edward VI., it was purchased by the Bretosters, who built the Hall, which was taken down several years ago, after the manor had been sold to Sir T. S. Gooch, Bart., its present lord. Part of the soil belongs to the Dean and Chapter of Westminster, and several smaller proprietors. The Church (St. Nicholas) is a neat structure, with a tower and five bells. It has recently been re-pewed, repaired, and furnished with 312 additional sittings, at the cost of nearly 700, towards which the Society for Building and Enlarging Churches gave 250, and 243 was levied by rate on the parishioners. The remainder, and the organ, were contributed by the present incumbent, who, in 1842, erected a new Rectory House, at the cost of 1000. The rectory, valued in K.B. at 21. 6s. 8d., has now a yearly modus of 578. 1s. 11d., awarded, in 1839, in lieu of tithes. Sir T. S. Gooch is patron, and the Rev. Stephen Clissold, M.A., incumbent. The pious Bishop Ebor resided many years at the old Rectory House. Here is an Independent Chapel, built in 1778. by a congregation which originated in 1647; and also a small Primitive Methodist Chapel, built in 1841. The National School, for children of both sexes and infants, is a neat building, in two large rooms, with a dwelling for the teachers, erected in 1834, at the cost of 745 14s. 5d., subscribed by the lord of the manor, the rector, and other contributors, except 131 granted from her Majesty's treasury, and 80 given by the National School Society. About 100 children attend, and each pay 1d. per week. Here is also a large school connected with the British and Foreign School Society, erected in 1837, at the cost of 200, and attended by about 50 children. The Town House has been vested for the use of the poor from an early period, and is in three apartments, two occupied rent-free, and the other let for 3. The Town Meadow, three acres, let for 2, has also belonged to the poor from an early period; and they have 3 a year from the Bull Fen, given in 1632, and an Allotment of 25a. 1R. 18p., awarded at the enclosure, in the 37th of George Ill., and now let for 37 a year. They have also a yearly rent-charge of 20s., left by Robert Edgar, out of that part of the Frostenden estate situated in Wrentham parish, and belonging to the Dean and Chapter of Westminster. The income from these charities is applied in distributions of coals, clothing, &c.
WRENTHAM
Marked * reside at West end.
Post Office at Mr Edw. Kemball's. Letters received at 6 morning, and despatched at 8 morning
Arris James, bricklayer
Artis Alfred Joseph, bricklayer
Algar Sarah, baker
Angel Miss Mary Ann
Baldry James, watch and clock mkr
Baxter William, beerhouse
Bollock Edward, watch & clock mkr
Chancellor Henry, tailor & draper
Chipperrield Rd. beerhs. & butcher
Clissold Rev Stephen, M.A. Rectory
Cotts Francis, shopkeeper
Dade Rebecca, beerhouse
Exeter Rev John, curate
Farrer Frederick, veterinary surgeon
Fisk Samuel, beerhouse
Goff Johnson, corn miller
Harmer Alfred, surgeon
Harraer John, druggist
Hasilnp Samuel, tailor and draper
Hitcbam Mrs
Howard Sarah, corn miller
Johnson Henry, butcher
Kemball Eliz. day & bdg. school
Lenny John Grimsby, land agent
Lenny & Croft, land agents & surveyors; and Bury St Edmund's
Lilly Royal William, plumber & glazr
Mealing John, cooper & shopkeeper
Mills Joseph, wood turner
Parry, Maria, day & boarding. school
Primrose and Harmer, surgeons
Quadling William, ironmonger & joiner
Ritchie Rev.— Independent minister
Roberts Samuel, Sawyer
Scarlett Mary Ann, vict. Eagle
Smith Sidney, furrier, &c
Stutter Miss, British School
* Vincent John Francis, gent
Wright Edward, saddler
Wright Stephen, stationer, &c
Wright William .& Miss S, National school
Wroot James, tailor
Wroot Misses Mary and Martha

Blacksmiths,
Burcham Thos. (ironmonger)
Lovett William
Lloyd James
* Wilson William
BootSfShoeMkrs.
Allger Alfred
Allger Charles
Fox Samuel
Wilson Thomas.
Woolnough John

FARMERS.
Baxter W. Stone
* Bence William
Candler Chas.
Candler James
Carter Willber
* Cottingham W.
* Crisp Baker
Denny John
* Denny Robert
Girline Thos.
Goff John
Kent John
Tacon John
* Wigg Neriah
Grocers & Drapers
Girliug & Scalett
Martin John
Newson William
Read John
Joiners.
Dade John
Waters John
Wheelwright.
Cox Stephen
Coaches daily to Yarmouth, Ipswich, &c
CARRIERS.
Goldsmith, to Norwich, &c, Tues. and Fri
Martin, to Southwold, Mon. W. and Saturday



And Last updated on: Monday, 27-Jun-2016 17:19:20 BST