I am the number 1 site for UK Pub history & a historical street directory of London

Search the pub history site by surname, address or pub name

Yaxley, Suffolk Villages & Towns - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories

Suffolk Villages Home Page | Ipswich Borough & Suffolk Hundreds |Suffolk Villages and Towns A - Z

Yaxley Public Houses

Yaxley Census transcriptions by household:
Yaxley 1851 Census ; 1861 Census ; 1871 Census ;
1881 Census ; 1891 Census ; 1901 Census

YAXLEY in White's 1855 Directory

Transcribed by Colin Ager

YAXLEY, in the parliamentary borough, and 1 mile W. of Eye, and 2 miles E. of Mellis Station, is a scattered village and parish, containing 507 inhabitants, and 1238A. 2R. 6P. of land, partly copyhold. Sir E. C. Kerrison, Bart., is lord of the manor, but the greater part of the soil belongs to Lord Henniker, J. Garden, Esq., J. Cobbold Esq., P. R. Welch, Esq., and several smaller owners. Yaxley Hall, a large and handsome mansion, in the Elizabethan style, with extensive plantations and pleasure grounds, is the seat and property of P. R. Welsh, Esq. The Church (St. Mary) is an ancient structure, with a beautiful porch, and a tower containing six bells. The porch is of late perpendicular work, and is one of the handsomest in the county. The rood screen is entire, and the chancel retains the old choir seats, a holy sepulchre, and a low side window. In the east window are some fine fragments of painted glass. The vicarage, valued in K.B. at 6. 6s. 5d., is in the patronage of Mrs. Ann Sewell, and incumbency of the Rev. E. A. Cobbold, B.A., who has a good Vicarage House, built in 1848, and 25A. of glebe. He has now a yearly rent charge of 139, awarded in 1842, in lieu of tithes. The rectorial tithes have been commuted for 287. 17s. per annum, of which 26. 13s. belongs to Lord Henniker; 18. 15s. to J. Cobbold, Esq.; and the remainder to Sir E. C. Kerrison, Bart. The Town Estate has for a long period been appropriated to the use of the church, the reparation of the houses used for the poor, and the payment of the constable’s expenses: and when any surplus remains, it is applied in clothing poor children, or binding them out apprentices. The estate comprises the Guildhall and cottages occupied by poor parishioners; 11 acres of common; and a cottage and 22A. 3R. 9P. of land in this and neighbouring parishes, let to various tenants, in 1829, at rents amounting to 35. 19s. 4d. per annum. The poor have a yearly rent charge of 4, left by an unknown donor, out of Yaxley Hall estate; and two others, of 8s. each, left by John Roe and John Clarke, out of a cottage and four acres belonging to Mr. Welton. Yaxley Hall is also charged with the yearly payment of 1. 13s. 4d. for repairing the highways.



And Last updated on: Monday, 25-May-2015 14:33:37 BST