Search the pub history site by surname, address or pub name
Directory of Pubs in the UK, historical public houses, Taverns, Inns, Beer Houses and Hotels in Surrey . The Surrey listing uses information from census, Trade Directories and History to add licensees, bar staff, Lodgers and Visitors.
ADDLESTONE, in 1913, formerly a hamlet, is an
ecclesiastical parish formed in 1838 from the parish of Chertsey, near the
junction of the Bourn brook with the river Thames, with a station on a
branch of the South Western line, 1 mile south-east from Chertsey and 20
miles from London; it is governed by the Chertsey Urban District Council and
is in the North Western division of the county, Godley hundred, Chertsey
petty sessional division, union and county court district, rural deanery of
Emly, arcbdeaconry of Surrey and diocese of Winchester. The church of St.
Paul, consecrated in 1838, is an edifice of brick with stone dressings, in
the Early English style, and has a tower containing one bell : there are
memorial windows to the Blunt, Grant Willmott, Maitland and Milsome
families, to the Rev. William Pidcock M.A. vicar 1845-84, to Mr. and Mrs.
Chester Cooper, Mr. and Mrs. Rickman and Mrs. Prideaux-Brune and Mrs. Tulk;
the church has 800 sittings, two-thirds of which are free: in the churchyard
are buried Marie Therese, wife of John Kemble, who died in 1838, aged 63,
and Mr. Samuel Carter Hall F.S.A. the well-known author of many works on
art, who died in March, 1889, and Anna Maria, his wife; she died 30th
January, 1881 ; the fabric of the church is clothed almost to its summit
with Irish ivy, brought from Killarney in 1855 by Mr. and Mrs. Hall: the
church was restored in 1883 at a cost of £2,400 and in 1905 the nave was
further restored and a new chancel and vestry built at a cost of £1,500. The
register dates from the year 1838. The living is a vicarage, net yearly
value £340, partly derived from pew rents, with residence, in the gift of
the Bishop of Winchester, and held since 1912 by the Rev. Arthur Cuming,
chaplain of Chertsey union, and of the Princess Mary Village Homes. St.
Augustine's, situated in Weybridge road, is an iron building erecied in 1891
at a cost of £600, to seat 250 : the land was given by the Ecclesiastical
Commissioners. The Wesleyan Chapel, erected in 1898, has sittings for 200
persons. The Baptist Union Chapel, built in 1872, has sittings for 330
persons. The cemetery, situated in Green lane, consisting of ? acres, was
formed in ?, at 8 cost of ? and is under the control. of the Burial Board.
In the grounds of Crouch Oak is an oak of immense girth, sa1d to be 800 years old. The " Princess Mary Village Homes," of which H.M. the Queen is patroness, were erected in the year 1871, and consist of a number of brick cottages, the central building forming a school-house, with a small tower containing 8 clock. The institution is certified by the Law Board and Local Government Board for the reception of the female children of prisoners and other children in destitute and dangerous circumstances, and the buildings are so designed as to carry out the" family system," each cottage containing a certain number of girls under the charge of a mother: the institution has accommodation for about 200, and is supported by voluntary subscriptions with the aid of a Treasury allowance for cases committed under the Industrial Schools Act: children are admitted at the period of infancy and maintained until the age of 16, on payment of the actual cost of maintenance. Visitors are admitted between the hours of 2 and 5 every afternoon except Sunday.
The Chertsey Union House is in this parish; the chapel was erected in 1868 and has a western turret containing 1 bell: there are four stained windows and sittings for 220 persons : particulars of the union are given under Chertsey. The village hall, erected in 1887 by the Addlestone Village Hall Co. Limited, will hold 500 persons. Kingthorpe is the residence of Thomas Weeding Weeding esq. J.P. The principal landowners are G. M. Edwards esq. of The Cedars, the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, the owners of St. George's Catholic College, Herbert Gosling esq. J.P. of Botley's Park, Chertsey, the trustees of William Bravington esq. and J. A. Humphrey, D. E. Higham and E. Mocatta esqrs. The area is 5,000 acres; the population in 1901 was 6,073, and in 1911 6,969, including 18 officials and 268 inmates in Chertsey Union Workhouse and Infirmary and 35 officials and 183 inmates in Princess Mary's Village Homes Industrial Girls' School. Parish Clerk, W. E. Ashfield.
Woburn Park is 1 mile north. Ongar Hill is a quarter of a mile south-west.
Police Station, Green lane, Alfred William Daws, sergeant
WOODHAM is an ecclesiastical parish, formed in 1902 from St. Paul, Addlestone, and St. Mary, Horsell; it is 1 1/4 miles north-east of Woking station. The church of All Saints, built in 1907, will seat 330 persons. The register dates from the year 1902. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £200, with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Winchester, and held since 1904 by the Rev. Montague Robert Bethune M.A. of Trinity College, Cambridge. The population in 1911 was 444.
PUBLIC ELEMENTARY SCHOOLS
Council School, New Haw (infants), erected in 1910, for 100 children; average attendance, 73; Miss Kate C. Sturgeon, mistress
Addlestone (girls & infants) (with two residences), built in 1841 & enlarged in 1885, for 280 girls & 129 infants; average attendance, 248 girls & 99 infants; the vicar & 7 others elected by the subscribers, 2 by County Council & 2 by Urban Council, are the managers; Miss Ethel Bide,
mistress; Miss Winifred Smart, infants' mistress. The infants' school was enlarged: in 1885 by subscription.
St. Paul's Schools (boys), with Central hall, Board room & six class rooms, were erected in 1901 at a cost of £3.050, for 300 boys; average attendance, 268; George Burnett, head master
St. Augustine's (infants), Albert road, erected in 1882, for 100 children: average attendance, 45; Mrs. Martha Bell, mistress & Miss Emily Bridle, assistant mistress
Chapel Park (infants), built in 1896, for 78 children; average attendance, 67; Miss Adela Welbom, mistress
Railway Station. Addlestone, W. H. Broadbank, station master
See Chertsey 1911 pub history census summary
|Black Horse, 88 New Haw road, Addlestone, Surrey||Yes||Yes|
|Cricketers, 81 Row Town, Addlestone, Surrey||Yes||Yes|
|Dukes Head, Brighton Road, Addlestone, Surrey||No||Yes|
|George Inn, 8 Chertsey Road, Addlestone, Surrey||Yes||Yes|
|Holly Tree, High Street, Addlestone, Surrey||No||Yes|
|Magnet, Addlestone, Surrey||No||Yes|
|Pelican, 22 Hamm Moor lane, Addlestone, Surrey||Yes||Yes|
|Queens Arms, 107 Church Road, Addlestone, Surrey||Yes||Yes|
|Railway Inn, 54 Station Road, Addlestone, Surrey||No||Yes|
|Royal Oak, Moor, Addlestone, Surrey||No||Yes|
|Victoria, 427 Woodham lane, Addlestone, Surrey||Yes||Yes|
|Waggon & Horses, 43 Simplemarsh road, Addlestone, Surrey||Yes||Yes|
|White Hart, Addlestone, Surrey||Yes||Yes|
|Woburn Arms, Addlestone Moor, Surrey||Yes||Yes|
|Woburn Park Hotel, Station Road, Addlestone, Surrey||Yes||Yes|