Search the historical London street directory, pub history site and World War One records of gallantry and casualties by surname, street or pub name; including early street addresses in London through the Victorian pub history of London. This site justs get more interesting.
King & Queen, Brighton
Kindly provided by David Wilson
Brighton pub history index
Directory of Pubs in the UK, historical public houses, Taverns, Inns, Beer Houses and Hotels in Brighton, Sussex . The Brighton, Sussex listing uses information from census, Trade Directories and History to add licensees, bar staff, Lodgers and Visitors.
The following entries are in this format:
Year/Publican or other Resident/Relationship to Head and or Occupation/Age/Where Born/Source.
Walter J Edlin, born Q4 1883 Regency Tavern, Russell Square, Brighton.
In1901 he was a Post Office Clerk. He married Millicent L Earney in Brighton
Q1 1911. The HQ for their Brighton pub chain was the King and Queen. After
the First World War it was a garage run by Walter Edlin and Neville Hodgson
before reverting to a pub in 1932.
The original King and Queen inn was a bow-fronted two-storey Georgian building on the site of a farmhouse. This had gained a licence in 1779 to cater for various sporting events held at that time on the North Steine. In addition the inn was also the venue for Brighton's corn market until 1868 when the Corn Exchange opened.
The present building was built in the Tudor style by architects Clayton and Black in 1931-32 with carved timber framing, herring-bone brickwork, stained glass and tapestries. The interiors were fitted out by Heaton, Tabb and Company, a well-known firm of pub decorators. Despite the figures of Henry VIII and one of his wives, the inn's sign more accurately shows King George III and Queen Charlotte. In 1967 three rooms were knocked through to make a mediaeval nobleman's hall.
Walter's father Henry William Edlin, born Q3 1848 baptised on 28 Oct 1849, in Shadwell Stepney. Henry was a Licensed Victualler. He was married Q3 1877 Fulham D to Emily Sarah Jones. (born c 1854 Trefonnen Shropshire) According to the 1881 Census they lived at the Talfourd Arms on Lyndhurst Road in Camberwell, Surrey. He was a Licensee from 12th August 1889. In 1891 they were living at 33 Russell Square, Brighton. He died in 1892 at the Regency Tavern Brighton and in 1893 his widow, Emily, became a Licensee. from 2 May 1893 until 4 November 1902. She died May 1938 age 91 at Gloucester Mansions Brighton. **
George Charles Hollebone is the licensee at the
Swan, High Street,
Southover, Lewes. George Charles’ sister Caroline Hollebone married
Robert Geer, the previous licensee at the Swan. Another sister, Mary
Ann, married William Inman, who in 1861 was the licensee here at the
King & Queen, Marlborough Place, Brighton, which was probably the main
coaching inn to London at this time. In the 1861 census Caroline Geer,
Robert’s daughter, is a barmaid at the King & Queen. ***
1823/Wm Long/../../../Pigots Directory
1854/Thomas Challis/../../../Original Brighton & Hove Directory 1854 ****
1859/W Inman/../../../Post Office Directory ****
1866/H Funnell/../../../Post Office Directory ****
1878/Mrs Catherine Funnell/../../../Post Office Directory ****
1890/Robert Hill/Proprietor/../../Post Office Directory ****
1899/F W Orris/../../../Post Office Directory ****
1905/Joseph Underwood/../../../Post Office Directory ****
1913/Walter John Edlin/../../../Post Office Directory ****
1918/Edlins Brothers/../../../Post Office Directory ****
1938/Edlins Ltd/../../../Post Office Directory ****
** Provided By David
*** Provided By Stephen Harris
**** Provided By Kevan