Many accurate 1921 census transcriptions have already been added to the pub history site, including London, and parts of Middlesex. If you can contribute to the site, send me some details to Kevan, along with some description of the specific property.

History of Wennington in 1882

History of Wennington

Wennington is a parish and village, near the shore of the Thames, in the Southern division of the county, Chafford Hundred, Romford Union, and county court district, rural deanery of Chafford, archdeaconry of Essex, and diocese of St Albans, 1 miles south east from Rainham station, 5 miles south from Romford, 2 north west from Purfleet, and 14 from London. The church of St Peter is an ancient building, consisting of chancel, nave, north aisle and a square embattled tower, containing 3 bells, dated 1662, but only one is in use: this church was originally of Norman foundation, of which the chancel retains some traces, as well as of the Lancet period: but the structure was almost entirely rebuilt and probably enlarged in the fifteenth century: in the south wall of the chancel is a plain acutely-pointed piscine: the tower is of small dimensions and built of Kentish rag: the font, an octagonal basin, on a shaft and plinth, is fifteenth century work: some ancient oak benches with finials remain: the pulpit is Jacobean: in the chancel is a small and curious mural tablet of alabaster, with kneeling figures and an inscription to Henry Bust MA, rector of this church, who died 16th Jan 1624 and his wife Margaret, who died 22nd Dec 1625; below are verses in Latin and English and above a shield of arms: there is also an inscription to William Gordonman, bur 4th Feb 1609. The register dates from the year 1654. The living is a rectory, yearly value 421 5s, and 4 acres of land, without house, in the gift of the Lord Chancellor; and held by the Rev Nicholas Brady, MA, of Trinity College, Cambridge, who resides at Rainham Hall. There is no manor. The trustees of the late R W Hall Dare esq,  and Sir Thomas Barrett Lennard, bart, are the principal landowners. The trustees f the late J C Circuit own about 80 acres. The soil is gravely and sandy; subsoil, gravel. A large proportion of the parish is marsh land used for pasture. The chief crops are wheat, barley, peas and other vegetables for market. The area is 1,570 acres; rateable value, 3,327; and the population in 1881 was 196.

Church Official, William Phillips

 

Post Office Reuben Edwards, sub-postmaster. Letters through Romford, delivery commences at 7 am; dispatched at 5.40 pm. The nearest money order & telegraph office is at Rainham.

Board School (mixed), built in 1876 for 70 children, with an average attendance of 34

 

Swann Henry, Wennington Hall

Wiggins Frederick, The Willows

Dean Joseph, shopkeeper

Earps Joseph, steward to the exors. of R W Hall Dare, esq, East hall

Kidd John & Co, chemical works

Lee Sarah (Mrs), shopkeeper

 

 

And Last updated on: Sunday, 22-Nov-2020 14:27:49 GMT